Monday, July 19, 2010

Chess Tactic of the Day Answers #14-#20

I recently archived my posts by week rather than month. I think I started The Chess Tactics of the Day on a Monday, so 1-7, 8-14, 15-21 Tactic answers would not correspond with an archived week. To make it easier to look at the problems and answers, I am going to post the answers to one archived week. Sorry, this is worded pretty terribly but it is a really basic concept!


Tactic #14:



Another great and famous win by Morphy. Apparently, Morphy took all of 12 minutes before playing the Queen sacrifice on move 17. Assuming Morphy calculated out all the variations, this represents an incredible speed for calculating moves. I am surely impressed! I make these sorts of sacrifices and realize, oh yeah, on the 3rd move he can parry the check by moving his pawn. Oops!

Tactic #15:

Composed by Richard Reti.



Tactic #16:



Paul Morphy wins again! Amazingly, Morphy was 12 at the time he played this game.

Tactic #17:

1. Qf5 h5 2. Qh5#

Tactic #18:



This game was played by Alexei Shirov and Alexander Chernin. I dont know too much about the tournament, but it was a World Championship Qualifier. I believe this tournament was part of the cycle that culminated in the Kasparov v Anand World Championship Match in 1995. Obviously then, Shirov didnt win the tournament, but he won this very nice game.

Tactic #19:

1. Rf6+ Ke5 2. Ng6#

Tactic #20:

1. Qf3+ Ne3 2. Qxe3# or 1. Qf3+ Kxd2 2. Rd1#

No comments:

Post a Comment