Monday, October 11, 2010

Fight Tonight!!! Baltimore vs. Philadelphia

Well, my blogging has gone way down! Truth be told, I am a bit busier now then I expected to be. Also, to be frank, I enjoy doing Blitz commentary videos more. They are easier to do. Writing can be kind of a pain. Rambling is always a joy!

IM Jay Bonin has joined the Philadelphia Inventors mid season. He has replaced the Piano Man, Matthew Bengston. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe we had the privilege of seeing Mr. Bengston play this year. That is too bad, and it is too bad to lose him from the team.

As far as Jay Bonin goes, he is I believe a staple around the Marshall Chess Club in New York City. He is a very good IM. I am not sure if he has moved to Philadelphia, welcome if he has. He has played for the New York Knights since 2005, so while he is new to the Philadelphia Inventors he is not new to the US Chess League.

Well, here is a link that I think explains what a great addition Jay Bonin is to the team. This season is kind of over for the Philadelphia Inventors, but if Jay Bonin sticks around, the Inventors could have a very good thing going next year. A line up of Panchanathan, Smith, Bartell, and Bonin looks extremely promising to me. Panchanathan can try and get as many draws as possible against the top GMs from other teams, Smith can hold his own on board 2, and Bartell and Bonin would be extremely strong for boards 3 and 4. I am not sure if this line up is actually legal, because I dont know exactly what the average rating has to be. Anyway, I should probably get back to the present a bit.

Welcome Jay Bonin and Good Luck!

The Inventors have a good chance of beating Baltimore this go around. The tied the last time they met. Basically, and somewhat typically this year, the Inventors have a bit of a disadvantage on the top board and a pretty decent advantage on the bottom boards. Well, at least rating wise. One thing that might be an issue is that Baltimore is still very much in the race for a playoff spot. Well, they are actually currently in 4th, which would give them the last playoff spot. They might have a little extra oomph, today, as the Inventors are playing for pride. I am going to go ahead and predict a 3 to 1 win for the Inventors.

Actually, I just did some calculations and the Inventors are not mathematically eliminated yet. If they can go 3-0 the next three matches, they will finish with a score of 4.5-5.5 So long as Baltimore goes 1-2 the next three matches, and neither New Jersey, Manhatten or Carolina jump up too much, the Inventors would tie for 4th place with Baltimore.

So, as hope springs eternal, maybe this is the match that starts off the Inventors on a crazy season ending playoff getting tear. Good luck to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment