Saturday, July 17, 2010

How's My Formatting? (Sort of Logistical Update)

One thing that seems unfortunately common to chess related internet sites is that the formatting is really terrible. I dont want to really name anybody, but I have seen quite a few sites that have some great chess information but terrible formatting of that information. Some of these formatting troubles make the sites annoying to the point of being unusable.

I absolutely dont want my site to be like that. That is why I have nice big fonts. A lot of older people play chess, also, if a kid has good eyesight he would play baseball! I also make my diagrams big and fit the screen pretty well.

My color scheme may look a bit random, and it sort of is, but I tried to use warm, cozy/fuzzy colors. I would imagine a lot of adult chess players work in jobs where they stare at bright white computer screens a lot, and that really can hurt your eyes after a while. For me, it also gets annoying to look at sterile after sterile thing. Otherwise, I might use more of a black background, because I think that is easiest on the eyes. That feels a bit too cold though.

I like to think my writing is good, but I am sure it is not great. I consider bad writing a part of the format for a chess blog. The writing probably isnt why people visit chess blogs, it is the chess. So the writing should be sort of like an paddle. It is necessary and helpful to get down the river, but the river is the main attraction.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I am going to put this post in Topics under Questions to the Readers. If anyone has any comment to make about formatting, and I mean any comment at all, please write a comment about it. No comment will be considered too nitpicky! Comments along the lines of, "too much space between posts" or "dont use the word chess so much" or "in Post X, paragraph 3, second sentence has a comma in an incorrect spot" are fine!

It is somewhat sad to me to see so many chess sites on the internet with such great information that is passed over because of bad formatting. I want to do anything I can to help put this chess information in as user-friendly a format as possible. My .html abilities are pretty minimal, but I will try and learn whatever is necessary to correct whatever problems or concerns are brought up.

Thanks in advance for any comments you make on the site!

No comments:

Post a Comment